Monday, January 25, 2010
Our Boy Blue
First, thank you all for your thoughts, prayers, and kind and caring words about Blue. Last Thursday, we tried to get an appointment with Dr. J for him. D and I were not in agreement on whether he was improving or not and I felt it was time to get a third, unbiased opinion. Blue's breathing seemed worse to me, but D thought he was doing better getting dosed twice a day with the diuretic. The main clue was his eating had dropped down to nothing. Unfortunately, we weren't able to get him in until this morning.
Dr. J examined Blue and gave us the grim news. His lungs were totally trashed and the extra fluid he carried in his abdomen meant his heart was going. He told us that Blue's life was just a matter of days now. With tears, I asked if he was suffering. Dr. J told us he was--that it was getting increasingly hard for him to breathe. D and I made the decision to end his suffering before we left the office. It was not an easy decision to make and it was one we knew we faced when we took Blue in this morning.
We buried Blue between the two bushes where he liked to sit and watch the setting sun. We asked the other cats who have gone before him to guide him and watch over him as he makes his way over the bridge. We miss our Boy Blue...