Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Social Control

Do you like Daylight Saving Time? Do you look forward to getting up an hour earlier in the spring and getting that extra hour to sleep in in the fall? Or are you like me--totally against it?


I hate Daylight Saving Time changes. Every year it gets harder and harder for me to adjust. In the spring I have to get up an hour earlier than my usual 5AM.  In the spring, because of the change in sleeping patterns and the need to wake up earlier, I'm more susceptible to colds, end of flu seasons, and other viruses. It took me nearly a month to adjust to the new time change last March. This fall, I find myself up before the alarm clock goes off. It doesn't do me any good to try and grab that extra hour of sleep because I'm wide awake. WIDE AWAKE.

I see DST as form of social control. Can "they" make us do something unnatural and inconsistent as get up an hour earlier in the spring and sleep in an hour in the fall? "They" have succeeded in doing this since 1966 with the Uniform Time Act. In 2005, "they" decided to see if we would shorten our hibernation by  passing the Energy Policy Act that came into effect 2007. "We" follow along with whatever "they" decide for our clocks.

I wonder what "they" have in store for us in the next couple of years... 






Sunrise

 
A few minutes later 


No comments:

Post a Comment