Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Counting Blessings

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." ~ A. Einstein

This is one of my favorite quotes. As busy as every one seems to be and I am just as busy, I'm reminded that I need to count my blessings. Count the things that really matter most to me.

 

  One of my blessings that I count is the love and support of my husband. 
We had been friends for 13 years before we married 7 years ago. 
We drive each other crazy 
and still are crazy about each other after all these years.

 
My son is another blessing. 
As much as we differ/disagree on nearly everything and most topics, he gave me my only chance to be a mom. He survived my bad parenting decisions and 
still graciously gives me credit for the few good ones.  




 
True friends are a blessing in any life. 
I count true friends among my blessings.
True friends are those who can see you through your worst and celebrate your bests. They will admonish you when you need a "spanking," cheer you when you need a lift, and share with you the joys of reaching milestones.

 
The animals who shared their lives with me is another blessing. 
Some were not able to stay very long, and others experienced life with me. 
But they all shared their love and trust with me. It is an honor and privilege to know each of them.


Family is another blessing. There are times when we get on each other's very last nerve, or we don't speak to each other for long periods of time because we are busy with our own lives, or we aren't as close as we'd like to be. Nonetheless, family is another blessing. 

Another blessing I have is my health. Many would think that having chronic high blood pressure, arteriosclerosis, and bad kidneys as not being a blessing. At this point, I'm blessed I'm alive and that I'm healthier now than I was before these problems were detected. It's one of those things that counts, but can't really be counted in a tangible manner. 

I've been blessed in my teaching. It provides me with an income to meet life's daily needs and challenges and it also enriches my life. I may complain about grading papers all the time, but I'm grateful to have them to grade. I'm blessed by my students--they have given me the daily strength to do my best for them. I've met many wonderful people that I wouldn't otherwise have met through my teaching. 

This may not be a blessing to most people, but I'm blessed to have computer skills and access to the Internet. I've found knowledge and information, met people from around the world, gained access to different cultures, and keep in touch with friends and family. It helps me stay connected. 

There are other blessings that I haven't counted today. But I'll be thinking of them in between feeding cats, preparing for the holiday, grading papers, and doing household chores.  What are your blessings?

5 comments:

  1. I have been so blessed in so many ways both recognized and I'm sure unrecognized. Like you I have been really focusing on my blessings this week. Wishing you and your family a wonderful, blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a wonderful post. It almost made me cry. We are so lucky aren't we, to have so much to be thankful for. I understand everything you mentioned. Life is so wonderful. I am living my life now....not looking back and not looking ahead...living in the now, so says Eckhart Tolle. I have never been happier or felt so "rich". It's pretty amazing.

    (What grade do you teach?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. You said everything so wonderfully. I am thankful I have your blog to read! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely post !
    It's true, sometimes we must take a moment to reflect the many ways we are truely blessed.
    Our Blessings aren't always obvious
    they come in many shapes ,sizes and disguises...
    sometimes even covered with fur !
    m.e. :)

    ReplyDelete