Sunday, November 1, 2009

Yesterday....

Yesterday was Halloween--the one holiday my husband of 7 years and I do together big. The week before, I was at a lost because I did not know what to do with my DieHard figure this year. However, my husband and I are a team. He thought of the idea and I was able to implement it.

DieHard 2009

 
The other side of the porch 

 Our cats even got into the Halloween Spirit. One of the strays living with us is Buddy. D explained that we were going to have Trick-or-Treaters coming to the door and we had to temporarily move his house--Buddy's not my husband's. Of course that meant D had to explain the whole concept of Halloween and Trick-or-Treating to this cat; including getting dressed in costumes, yelling "TRICK-R-TREAT" at the top of their lungs, and our passing out goodies. So Buddy decided to join the fun. 


Buddy putting on his "costume" 

In our town, whole families dress up and go door-to-door, trick-or-treating. We like it. I've read and heard some complaints about teenagers and parents with babies nabbing candy, but I believe this is a night for fun that is for everyone. 


Whole family-gangs trick-or-treating 

Of course it was the first Halloween for the 4 Kittens. D explained to them that people come to the door, dressed crazily and Mom (that's me) gives them candy and goodies so they go away.  I had to think about that concept for a bit. 


Cuddles and Lacey watching Trick-or-Treaters coming to the door 

I wish I had the camera handy when the Mad Hatter (complete with teacup), the  Penguin, and Flu Man came to the door. They took the prize for best costume in my estimation. 

I have fun with the kids on Halloween. The older kids get to work for their treats. Picture this scenario:

Treaters: "TRICK-R-TREEEEEEEAT!"
Me: Look what we have here. What are you? (points to the first teenybopper who is wearing devil's horns and dressed in goth clothing)
First Teenybopper: I'm like a devil. 
Me:  Like a devil? You mean you don't know for sure if you are a devil or not? 
First Teenybopper: Well some people call me a demon and others call me a devil.
Me:   What do you call yourself?
First Teenybopper: *shrugs shoulders* I don't know....
Me: I call myself Cathryn personally. But that's also my name.   
Nervous laughter from all the teenyboppers.
Me: What are you supposed to be? (pointing to the next teenybopper)
Second Teenybopper: I'm an emo fairy. 
Me: Well that's an oxymoron if I ever saw one. Emo and fairy are just not congruent concepts. 
Nervous giggles. I realize they don't understand a word I said. 

Treaters: "TRICK-R-TREEEEEEEAT!"
Me: Well...look who came to our door. What are you? (pointing to the first one dressed sort of like an October-fest child)
First Treater: I'm a beer girl. 
Me: A what? 
Chorus from all treaters: A BEER GIRL!
First Treater: You know in the olden days, they used to serve beer in these dresses. 
Me: *Thinking that them olden days weren't too far long ago in my memory and no one ever served beer in those get-ups* Honey! I found someone to serve you a beer!
Giggles from the treaters. 
Me: And what are you supposed to be?
Second Treater: I'm a Prom Queen. 
Me: Where's your tiara?
Second Treater: I don't have one. 
Me: How can you be a Prom Queen without a tiara? Where's your Prom King?
Second Treater: I don't have one.
Me: No tiara and no Prom King. *shakes my head* (Points to the next one.)
Third Treater: I'm a French Maid. 
Me: Do you speak French?
Third Treater: No...
Me: So what makes you a French Maid?
Third Treater: My costume. 
Me: Ok Miss Maid--I have some dishes that need washing. 
*Nervous laughter and giggles from all the treaters* 


 Treaters: "TRICK-R-TREEEEEEEAT!"
Me: Alright--we have a SuperMan, a Lion, a Princess, and a Pirate at the door. My oh my!
Four eager faces looking at me. I say and do nothing for a minute until one says "Trick or Treat!" in a hopeful tone.
Me: Ok kids--where's my trick?
Eyes blink several times before giggles erupt. Invariably one will ask, "What trick?"
Me: Isn't that the deal? You give me a trick and I give you a treat? 

*One clever child made a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup disappear in 3 seconds.*

Yeah--I love Halloween!   

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time! I'll have to remember that trick of making a peanut butter cup disappear. LOL!

    ReplyDelete