Friday, November 6, 2009

Malls and Shopping--Oh My!

With the holiday season just around the corner, and even our local box store is filling up on holiday "goodies-n-gifts," I sit smug at my computer because I'm not shopping during the holiday madness this year...again!

I've always hated shopping. When it was the rage in the 70s and 80s to hit the malls, I would cringe at the thought. All those people crowded in one tiny space breathing/using up my air...the thought that "we" bought this concept just slays me. My sisters were Mall Girls, dragging my mother and my brother to the mall where they could shop, eat, entertain themselves all in one building. I would rather stay home and do dishes or laundry, scoop dog poop and litter boxes---anything but go to the mall. That hasn't changed for me as I've gotten older.

I don't even like shopping for food--unless I'm at the Farmer's Market. That's another story.

Anyway, when I got married, my husband (who, incidentally,  hates crowds as much as I do) showed me eBay. I fell into ecstasy. Here was a way to shop without crowds! Wooohooo Here I come!

 So over the past seven years, I found my favorite shopping places online. Here are a few of them.



I loved this bead but unfortunately I didn't jump on it. Some lucky person owns this set of beads.  However, I have two full cases of Terri Stone's beads, so what does that say about me?. 



 I'm the proud owner of two of Mary Ellen's  butterfly fairies, dozens of her flower beads, and several of her other fairies. I own a box of her beads...again what does that say about me?

 
 I also own a few of Ivy's beads. Ok...I confess! I'm a polymer clay addict! Ivy also owns an eBay shopwhich is where I first saw her beads. Coincidently, eBay is how I found TLSClayDesign and BeeTreebyME. I'm slowly adding to my collection of polymer clay beads and I only have one small case of Ivy's beads so far. SO FAR....


While I usually purchase beads for my own beading needs/addiction, this is a new favorite of mine. Cherin has some really cool lanyards, which are better than the old cloth kind that get ugly or already were ugly to begin with.  The best part is that she's already taken out the guess-work in beading these pretty yet functional pieces! 


 That's just a few of my favorite online shopping places. What are your favorite places to shop? 

4 comments:

  1. Awww thanks for the advertising Cathryn! I went to the mall today for the first time in a very long time. Now I know why I don't anymore, like you said the crowd and the way they jam Christmas down your face now!
    Not to mention when we walked thru Macy's you could of gagged me with the perfume smell. It was so strong that my lungs actually absorbed it.
    Last time I go in that store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love landyard lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't care for malls either....but put me online and I can always find what I'm looking for. I'm a big fan of GAP, and LOVE looking at fabric online...although I am fearful about ordering it. I also like looking for things to use for decorating. I'm just getting acquainted with E-bay...very dangerous place for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks Cathryn for the mention! I love all your favorites as well, especially Terri's clay beads. They are magnificent! And I have not been in a mall in years. Got the wardrobe to prove it!

    ReplyDelete