Monday, March 1, 2010

Ask And You Shall Receive

A few posts back, I mentioned blueberry cookies and An Oklahoma Granny immediately asked for the recipe. I've been busy--caught up in other things but her request has stuck in my mind. Make that SIDETRACKED by other need-to-post issues and teaching. Wait--make that caught up in my teaching and sidetracked by other issues to blog about. There...can you tell it's Monday?!?!? And the first day of March?!??! It's our first March of the new decade and I should be celebrating...or at least excited.

Anyway I hadn't forgotten Oklahoma Granny's request--in fact it's been there giving me a nudge here and there...."Remember--you were going to post that blueberry cookie recipe for Oklahoma Granny." And the nudge became a bit of a nag..."Cathryn--when are you going to post that recipe for Granny? She's been patiently waiting..." After a bit the nag became a shrew and I really hate shrews--especially when they reside in my own brain. Shrews tend to shriek at every available opportunity and when they are least expected. I'd be in the middle of a lecture or talking to a student and the shrew would unleash its banshee voice: "CATHRYN! You are dwaddling here and there's no excuses for getting her that recipe! Get off your duff and get that recipe on your blog!"

At this point, some people would say that's my conscious bothering me...I call it the way I hear it in my head--the Shrew...The screeching, banshee, wailing shrew. It's like listening to fingers scrape across a chalkboard only worse...you can't escape it because it travels with you! Nice image for a Monday morning, huh?

I finally replenished my supply of dried blue berries and fresh blueberries. I really endeavored in  not gobbling them all up before I got to bake the next batch. You see, despite the shrewish conscious jangling of my last nerve, I really wanted to make these cookies so I could remember what I did so I could post this recipe for Granny. Besides the fact that they are simply yummy and make me break my low carbohydrate/low sugar vows for health.  I also wanted to take pictures because these cookies are stupendous. It may come down to that, you know--I can only have pictures of these wonderful cookies, instead of eating them.

So these are for you Granny...and anyone else who wants the recipe! :D

Blueberry Cookies
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup denemara sugar (alternatively use 1/2 cup sugar +1/2 cup brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, room temperature
2 1/4 cups unbleached, unenriched flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup dried blueberries
1--6 ounce container fresh blueberries, rinsed (OPTIONAL)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 


In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside. 


In the main bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix well. Add the eggs--minus the shells--one at a time, beating well after each egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture, scraping sides of bowl with a spatula until all is thoroughly mixed. Add dried blueberries and mix well. Gently fold in the fresh blueberries. You want to try to prevent squishing them. 
 Drop by well-rounded tablespoons on an ungreased cookie sheets. As you can see from the picture, you should have a couple of fresh blueberries sitting in each tablespoon-full. Bake on middle rack of oven for 8-12 minutes, depending on your oven. I pull them out when the bottom edges are golden brown, which is about 10 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack and store loosely covered in a container if the air is humid.

7 comments:

  1. I am dying now as I sit here and look at those cookies. Want some and a glass of milk! Another one for the recipe file. Who knew blogging would turn into a wonderful source for yummy delights?

    ReplyDelete
  2. those cookies do look very good, and I have an almost unending supply of blue berries, from my day, I'll just have to find a source for the dried ones.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sort of glad your shrew won! haaaaaa Those cookies look phenomenal! Can't wait to try them. :) Thanks so much for sharing! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmy! I have got to try this one- they look so inviting and sound scrumptious! But you forgot the secret ingredient that must make yours extra-special- a bit of cat hair that floated into the batter! LOL! How do I know? That is what makes all of OURS special!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookmarked!!! Blueberries are about my favoritest anything ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Cathryn! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. So sorry to have awakened the shrew in your head.

    I've been out of town for 3 days and am just now catching up on my blog reading.

    I'll be making a trip to the store later today. :)

    ReplyDelete